This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
Hello, friends! Welcome back to The House Down the Lane!
I picked up this 1967 dictionary at a flea market months ago.
The moment I saw it I knew it would be a fun addition to my collection of craft and DIY supplies. But it sat unused for months, until finally inspiration struck!
I had been wanting to make a piece of DIY art for in our family room. And it was just the project for my dictionary!
Personalized DIY Family Initial Art
This project is quick and easy and only requires a few supplies!
- A Frame
- “Family” Dictionary Entry (If you don’t have a dictionary handy, try searching “printable family dictionary entry” on your favorite search engine.)
- Your Family’s Initial (I cut mine on my Silhouette, but you could print it and cut it out, buy chipboard letters at the craft store, use a metal initial…get creative and use what you have)
- Self-Adhesive 3-d Pop Up Dots
I used the frame from my DIY Halloween Boo Frame. It’s so pretty that I didn’t want it sitting in a box for most of the year! I was able to remove the Boo art and save it, so I’ll pull it out again next Halloween.
I used gold card stock and my Silhouette Cameo to cut out my initial.
Find the “family” definition in your dictionary. Tear the page out or copy it. Or find a free one online and print it.
Remove the back of your frame and trace it on your “family” dictionary entry.
*Make sure that you’ll be able to see the definition through the front of the frame and position the definition so that you have a spot to add your initial.
Cut it out.
Now place your definition in your frame. That way you can position everything without any snafus.
Position your letter and make very light pencil marks on the top corner of the letter and along the bottom. Add your pop up dots and attach it to the definition by lining it up with your lines.
I pulled mine back out of the frame after marking the position of my initial, because it’s bulky and was getting in my way.
Now, put your art back into the frame if you removed it, close up the frame, and put it where you can see it often!
And that’s how you create Personalized DIY Family Initial Art! Quick, easy, and a beautiful tribute for your family. 🙂
The possibilities for this project are endless!
- Holiday art with the first letter of the name of the holiday
- The definition “creative” with a photograph or your initial
- The definition of the season and a chipboard image that represents the season (ie, summer and a chipboard flower)
- You could make art for your kids’ rooms with a definition that describes them and their initial
See what I mean? Endless possibilities!
More Posts You Might Enjoy
If you liked today’s post, you might also enjoy these projects.
Thanks for hanging out with me! Make some time for DIYing it today!