Organizing paperwork is an important (and often dreaded) task for any business owner, but there are a few supplies and tips that will make setting up and maintaining your business filing system much easier. Let’s talk about essential supplies for filing!
Essential Supplies for Filing
Organizing paperwork is an important task for any business owner, but it’s often one of our least favorite tasks.
Am I right?!
You’ve probably heard the phrase “the right tool for the job,” and that phrase is especially true when it comes to completing dreaded chores like paper filing.
Nothing make filing an even bigger drag than fighting with improper tools or supplies that are in poor working condition:
- Bent, tight, or squeaky file drawers
- Old, bent, or broken hanging files
- Hanging files that fall off the runners
- File drawers that are overstuffed with papers
- Hanging files that have too many papers in them
- Files that aren’t meant for long-term paper storage
Thankfully, there are a few essential filing supplies that will make setting up a business filing system much easier!
From creating categories to storage solutions to DIY file organization ideas, these essential filing supplies, products, and simple tips will help you with paper clutter and home office organization!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. As always, my favorable opinions of quality filing supplies are 100% my own!
Essential Filing Supplies
There are a few supplies that are absolutely essential for setting up a quality filing system.
- Hanging Files
- Tabs – if your hanging files didn’t come with them.
- Label Inserts – if your hanging files didn’t come with them.
- A File Drawer or File Bin
- A Hanging File Frame – if your filing unit doesn’t already have one.
That’s it! Just five essential supplies for filing!
If you’re like me, you crave a pop of color and a touch of “pretty” in your filing supplies.
Non-Essential (and Prettier) Filing Supplies
I’ve found that adding visually appealing touches to my filing supplies makes me more inclined to actually file my papers. And that means less paper clutter.
A #winwin in my mind! 🙂
Here are a few options for adding aesthetic touches to your filing system:
A Label Maker
I love how clean a row of hanging files look with labels printed with a A Label Maker!
Add a pop of color and pattern in a dizzying array of choices with Washi Tape!
I’ve found that lighter shades or simple patterns work best on file folders. It’s easier to see your labels and the Washi tape serves as a background for your labels, so they pop.
Find TONS of options on Amazon here: Washi Tape!
Printable Decorative File Labels
Another option for adding pops of color and pattern to your filing labels is to use printable decorative file labels!
I created and shared these decorative file labels on the blog.
Or you can create your own using Picmonkey or Word!
Decorative Hanging File Folders
Adding decorative hanging folders is a quick and easy way to add a pop of pretty to your filing cabinet and the chore of paper filing!
There aren’t as many options available as there are with tabbed file folders (see below), but here are a few of my faves:
Decorative file folders
Decorative file folders are available in an astounding variety of colors, patterns, and styles. See search results on Amazon here.
Or here are a few of my favorites:
Now, let’s talk about a few of my favorite filing tips!
Tips to Make Filing Easier
Using quality filing supplies and adding a pop of pretty are two ways to make filing much easier.
Here are more tips for making the job less of a drag:
- Implement a home office inbox – this tool acts as a catch-all filter for the paper coming into your office (join the 7-Day Office Organization Challenge for more information on implementing an office inbox and to get your office organized!).
- Develop a solid paper processing routine – this routine may include processing the items in your office inbox, recording tasks that need to be completed, and filing (learn more: How to Develop a Paper Processing Routine).
- Don’t use paper clips in your files – they take up valuable space and catch on papers; instead use staples.
- Organize your hanging folders alphabetically.
- Start with fewer files labeled with more general categories – it’s easier to sort through papers in a file than lots of hanging folders; if a hanging file is cumbersome you can always create an additional hanging file with a more specific file name.
- Maintain consistent file names – creating a File Index is a helpful tool for reference and to maintain consistency.
- Schedule regular times to maintain your filing system – quarterly, seasonally, or annually, block off some time to clean out your files and declutter the items in each folder.
- Declutter as you go – if you find outdated items in a file, pull them out and shred or recycle them; this will make your regularly scheduled file system maintenance much easier.
For more helpful filing tips, check out this post: Tips for Setting Up a Home Office Filing System.
Essential Supplies for Filing
Organizing paperwork is an important (but often dreaded) task for any business owner, but these essential filing supplies and tips will make business filing easier and more enjoyable. They’ll also help you to organize your home office and kick paper clutter to the curb!
If you enjoyed today’s post, you might find these related posts helpful:
- The First Step to Conquer Paper Clutter
- How to Construct a Filing System That Works for YOU
- 3 Essential Routines for Home Office Organization
What supplies have you found essential for paper filing? Do you have any fave supplies that make the job prettier?
Don’t forget to pin it!
Here’s to making the paper filing chore a little more enjoyable with the right tools for the job, along with a few fun, non-essential supplies! Organization should never be boring, my friends! 😉
Thanks for joining me today!